Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

The following regulations of the City of Kenai, pertaining to the water and sewer system, have been issued under the authority of Title 17 of the Kenai City Code of Ordinances. Regulations issued prior to this date are superseded by the regulations that follow:

1. Application for or Change in Service:

a. It shall be the responsibility of the property owner to apply for utility service, a change in service, or discontinuance of service by signing a service order at the City Administration Building, Kenai, Alaska.

b. Property owners are responsible to contact the City billing department when alterations to a building would change their billing account.

2. Water and Sewer Connections and Extensions:

a. The property owner or his or her contractor may apply for a water and sewer permit for a connection and/or extension of service lines. The water and sewer permit is valid for only twelve (12) months from the date of issue. If the water and/or sewer line is not installed within twelve (12) months, a new permit, at no additional cost, will be required.

b. The City will attempt to notify the owner when the permit expires. The owner can later reapply for a permit. If the owner can prove they already paid the City for a permit in this same location, the owner will not be charged for the new permit. The entire cost of water or sewer service connection and extension will be borne by the property owner.

c. At the time the new service is provided, all connections to existing private systems, wells, septic tanks, cesspools, etc., shall be physically disconnected from the City system and their use discontinued. All on-site systems shall be abandoned as specified by ordinances and regulations of the City and applicable laws and regulations of the State of Alaska.

d. All water turn-ons and turn-offs and the operations of the water valve located on the service line in the key box shall be made by City personnel only. There shall be a penalty if a water turn-on or turn-off is done by non-City personnel. A fee will be levied on requests for turn-on and turn-off (after initial turn-on and not involving voluntary suspension of service) during normal duty hours and whenever such action is required due to delinquent account. A fee will be levied on requests for turn-on or turn-off during periods other than normal duty hours or for requests to voluntarily suspend service. Turn-on and turn-off during normal working hours for line testing purposes during building construction will not be a cost to the property owner. There will be no charge for the initial turn-on during normal working hours for a first or new property owner. All penalties and fees shall be as set forth in the City’s schedule of fees adopted by the City Council.

e. All customers shall be required to provide a separate valve inside a building being served. The valve shall be located on the water service entering the building ahead of any branch lines where it is readily accessible in event of emergency.

f. Each and every building served by the water utility shall have a separate outside shut-off valve located in a valve box. The property owner is required to know the location of this valve. In the event it is impossible to get a separate outside shut-off valve within the public right-of-way, the property owner shall provide the shut-off valve within private property and execute, in favor of the City, an easement providing access for the City personnel to the key box. In the event that a functional shut-off valve cannot be located by City personnel, the City may install a shut-off valve and charge the property owner for related labor, equipment, and material costs. Any charge under this subsection shall be based upon actual costs as well as any applicable rates as may be set forth in the City’s schedule of fees adopted by the City Council.

g. Owners of new or significantly modified commercial buildings are required to furnish and install a water meter with a remote reading that is readily accessible to the City.

3. Deposits for Service: For domestic and commercial customers, separate deposits are required for water service and for sewer service. The amount of deposit required shall be as set forth in the City’s schedule of fees adopted by the City Council. These deposits may be refunded upon request after two years of timely payment history.

4. Charge for Water and/or Sewer Services:

a. The property owner will be charged the appropriate water and sewer rate whenever the curb stop or valve in the valve box is turned on and available to deliver water. However, if the property owner can assure the City that the water is being used for construction purposes only and not being disposed of in the Municipal Sewer System, the property owner will be required to pay only the water portion of the bill. The property owner is required to notify the City before they start using the Municipal Sewer System.

b. Property owners will be allowed to suspend water and/or sewer services subject to the fees in subsection (A)(2)(d).

c. Property owners whose water is turned off by the City for non-payment of services will be required to follow subsection (2)(d) including the payments for water turn-offs and turn-ons.

5. Hydrants:

a. The use of fire hydrants is permitted only in special situations when approval, in writing, has been obtained from the City, and upon payment of the use charge. Failure to obtain written authorization from the City, failure to follow written instructions of the City, or any improper use of a fire hydrant is subject to the Rules and Regulations and penalty provisions of KMC 13.05 and KMC 17.05.

b. A deposit is required to assure careful use of the hydrant and will be refunded if no maintenance is required when hydrant use is completed. The use charge, which is non-refundable, shall be a daily fee. The deposit and daily use charge shall be as set forth in the City’s schedule of fees adopted by the City Council. As an alternative charge, the City reserves the right to require metering in circumstances involving high volume usages, in accordance with rates provided in the City’s schedule of fees adopted by the City Council.

c. The permit holder is required to use a hydrant wrench to slowly open and close the hydrant. During use, the hydrant must be fully opened. If using a hydrant to fill a tank, users must comply with State of Alaska DEC requirements for a minimum eight-inch (8″) air gap on the fill line. Tanks are required to be inspected by the City before hydrants are used.

d. The fire hydrant permit may be suspended by the City of Kenai at any time (normally during City water shortages). The fire hydrant permit holder is required to maintain current up-to-date contact numbers with the City.

6. Common Connections: There shall be no water and/or sewer common extensions for use by several properties or families. No connection or extension will be permitted across property lines unless they are located in a public utility easement. Every lot or individual parcel will have its own water line, valve, and meter (if not paying a flat rate). Every lot or individual parcel will have its own sewer line.

7. Location of Water Key Box: It shall be the property owner’s responsibility to know the location of, and have marked, the key box and thaw wire for the water service. The standard key box marker shall be a four-inch (4″) by four-inch (4″) by eight-foot (8′) wood post, four feet (4′) in height above ground, painted white with black top and the word water stenciled in black letters no less than two inches (2″) high. Property owners who do not use the standard marker should have some other method of locating their key boxes or be prepared to stand all cost of location in time of necessity.

8. Sewer Service Clean-Out: No person shall install a sewer extension to a building without placing in the line near the building and at every change of direction of the sewer line, a sewer line clean-out of four-inch (4″) minimum diameter. It shall be the property owner’s responsibility to know the location of and have marked the sewer service cleanout.

9. Rental Properties: All bills are in the name of the property owner. Bills may be mailed to the renter, but the owner is responsible for all payments.

(Resos. 92-13, 2004-18, 2005-08, 2008-20, 2011-13; Ord. 2078-2005)